A Profile in Cowardice
I find myself on the horns of the dilemma: I support the provisions in this bill, I debated for them, I was the sole Republican in the committee that voted for the Lieberman-Levin language on Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. I think it’s the right thing to do. I think it’s only fair. I think we should welcome the service of these individuals who are willing and capable of serving their country. But I cannot vote to proceed to this bill under a situation that is going to shut down debate and preclude Republican amendments…That too is not fair. Now is not the time to play politics simply because an election is looming in a few weeks.
- Christian Science Monitor: Why Sen. Susan Collins is blocking vote on ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’
- PBS.org: Don’t Ask Don’t Tell repeal effort dealt setback in Senate
- ABC News: Senate Republicans block defense bill, ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ repeal
- NYTimes.com: Don’t Ask, Don’t Debate
- Los Angeles Times: Defense bill includes immigration, ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ measures