Equal Opportunity Xenophobe
Sharron Angle, the Tea Party-backed Republican nominee for Senate in Nevada, cannot distinguish between Hispanics and Asians because she cannot be bothered to learn about their respective heritage and significant contributions to American society. Such ignorance breeds fear, and Angle recognizes fear as a powerful mobilizing tool. In a state with an unemployment rate that exceeds 14 percent, Angle has done an exceptional job of exploiting the populace’s anger, resentment and xenophobia to her political advantage. Angle has figured out that she does not need to stand for anything in order to win; she merely needs to find a scapegoat (like images of ‘scary-looking’ dark-skinned people crossing the border) to feed the frenzy. That is the primary reason why someone of her limited intelligence and irrationality can possibly win a seat in the United States Senate.
- Asian American Action Fund Blog: Latinos “look Asian” to Sharron Angle
- Politico.com: Sharron Angle says Hispanic students look ‘Asian’
- Las Vegas Sun: Angle tells students immigration ad doesn’t single out Hispanics
- Washington Independent: Angle defends her anti-illegal immigration ads
- NYTimes.com: Angle says students ‘look Asian’