FBI Director Robert Mueller’s statement on the alleged Iranian-backed plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States
Transcript of statement by FBI Director Robert Mueller on the Iranian-backed plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to United States:
“This case illustrates that we live in a world where borders and boundaries are increasingly irrelevant, a world where individuals from one country sought to conspire with a drug trafficking cartel in another country to assassinate a foreign official on United States soil. I know it reads like the pages of a Hollywood script. The impact would have been very real and many lives would have been lost.
“These individuals had no regard for their intended victim, no regard for innocent citizens who might have been hurt or killed in this attempted assassination. They had no regard for the rule of law. With these charges, we bring the full weight of that law to bear on those responsible. We send a clear message that any attempts on American soil will not be tolerated.
“This was not a typical case for any of us given the global ties we unraveled and the scope of the plot itself but it represents the full range of threats we faced and it illustrates the need for continued collaboration – collaboration between agencies, departments, collaboration between countries.
“We’ve said it many times before but it does bear repeating. It is only working side-by-side that we are able to stop plots like this before they can take hold.
“We will continue to work together to find and stop those who seek to do us harm, whether they attempt to strike overseas or here at home, whether it’s a conspiracy to kill a foreign official on U.S. soil, a terrorist attack on United States citizens, or a street crime in our communities.”
- United States of America vs. Manssor Arbabsiar and Gholam Shakuri complaint (PDF)
- U.S. Department of Justice: Attorney General Holder holds national security enforcement press conference
- Federal Bureau of Investigations: Two men charged in alleged plot to assassinate Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Department of Justice: National Security Division
- C-Span.org: Justice department press conference on Saudi ambassador assassination plot
- Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia: Statement on plot to assassinate ambassador
- Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia: Biography of Ambassador Adel A. Al-Jubeir
- WhatTheFolly.com: Attorney General Eric Holder’s statement on the alleged Iranian-backed plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States
- WhatTheFolly.com: U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara’s statement on the thwarted plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States
- WhatTheFolly.com: Assistant AG Lisa Monaco’s statement on the coordinated law enforcement efforts to thwart the plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States
- WhatTheFolly.com: Press conference Q&A on plot to assassinate Saudi ambassador to the U.S.