Assistant AG Lisa Monaco’s statement on the coordinated law enforcement efforts to thwart the plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States
Transcript of statement by Lisa Monaco, Assistant Attorney General for National Security, on the alleged plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States:
“I want to echo the remarks of the Attorney General and others here today in thanking those involved in this operation.
“This is a significant milestone and achievement in our national security efforts.
“As you have heard, the facts as alleged in today’s criminal complaint shed light on an assassination plot that was conceived and sponsored by elements of the Iranian government.
“Thanks to a coordinated law enforcement effort, we were able to penetrate and thwart the plot before it could result in harm to the ambassador or anyone else.
“I want to thank the men and the women of the National Security Division, in particular those from the division’s counter-terrorism section and other sections within the division, for their efforts in helping to shepherd this case and for their efforts in the extensive coordination that was required to arrive at today’s result.
“This case, perhaps more than any in recent memory, involved an incredible amount of collaboration with partners over several months. Were it not for the hard work of the division and its many partners, we wouldn’t be standing here today.
“I want to thank our partners in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York for their extensive and hard work on this matter. I also want to acknowledge the hard work of the prosecutors in the Houston U.S. Attorney’s office and, of course, the many investigators at the FBI, the DEA, and the New York Joint Terrorism Task Force. They deserve a special commendation for thwarting this plot and obtaining information on those behind it.
“Finally, I want to thank the intelligence community for its critical role in this matter. The National Security Division was designed to serve as the place where intelligence and law enforcement come together at the Justice Department. I am proud to say that we served that purpose here. This case demonstrates exactly how the division is supposed to work and should serve as a model for future cases.”
- United States of America vs. Manssor Arbabsiar and Gholam Shakuri complaint (PDF)
- U.S. Department of Justice: Attorney General Holder holds national security enforcement press conference
- Federal Bureau of Investigations: Two men charged in alleged plot to assassinate Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Department of Justice: National Security Division
- C-Span.org: Justice department press conference on Saudi ambassador assassination plot
- Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia: Statement on plot to assassinate ambassador
- Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia: Biography of Ambassador Adel A. Al-Jubeir
- WhatTheFolly.com: Attorney General Eric Holder’s statement on the alleged Iranian-backed plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States
- WhatTheFolly.com: FBI Director Robert Mueller’s statement on the Iranian-backed plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States
- WhatTheFolly.com: U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara’s statement on the thwarted plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States
- WhatTheFolly.com: Press conference Q&A on plot to assassinate Saudi ambassador to the U.S.