Transcript: Remarks by Gov. Nikki Haley on South Carolina’s voter ID law
Transcript of remarks by Gov. Nikki Haley on South Carolina’s new voter ID law (January 2012):
“We are here to talk about what is going to be a very pressing issue and important issue, because we were fortunate enough to have the members of the House and the members of the Senate listen to the will of the people.
“The will of the people was that we want to protect the integrity of our voting process. And if you have to show a picture ID to buy Sudafed, and if you have to show a picture ID to get on a plane, you should have to show a picture ID to do that one thing that’s so important to us which is that right to vote.
“And so we went through that process. The House passed it. The Senate passed it. And then I signed it.
“What we saw was the continued war on South Carolina that continues to happen – like Boeing, like illegal immigration – now we’re seeing it with voter ID.
“This has got to stop. So you will see us fight. You will see us fight hard.
“You know, I want to go one step further and just remind you that everyone implies this is voter suppression. There is nothing we want more than to make sure every person in South Carolina has the right to vote. And we’re not just talking about it; we did something about it.
“We had an 800 number. We opened the lines for two weeks. We said anybody that needs a ride to the Motor Vehicles, we will take you. We’ll help you get the ID that you need.
“And the people who were against this said there are thousands and thousands of people that can’t get to the DMV. Do you know how many people actually got rides? Less than 30 across the entire state got rides to get picture ID.
“So what we are saying is we passed this as a state for the will of the people. We passed it in good faith. We have continued to show good faith in making sure that we have every individual that votes.
“But now we’re going to fight back to make sure we do get this law passed as it should, and we’re going to do it with the best we’ve got in the state, and that’s our Attorney General Alan Wilson.”
- Governor.SC.gov: Gov. Haley, AG Wilson, Speaker Harrell, State Sen. Bryant speak about voter ID (YouTube)
- Governor.SC.gov: Contact Gov. Nikki Haley
- WhatTheFolly.com: AG Eric Holder vows to enforce Civil Rights Act, protect MLK’s legacy
- Justice.gov: Transcript of Attorney General Eric Holder’s remarks at the King Day at the Dome on Jan. 16, 2012
- Justice.gov: Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Justice.gov: Letter from Assistant AG Thomas Perez objecting to South Carolina’s new voter ID law (PDF)
- RenewtheVRA.org: Voting rights in South Carolina 1982 – 2006 (PDF)
- SCStateHouse.gov: Section 7-13-710 voter identification provision
- NCSL.org: National Conference of State Legislatures – Voter identification requirements state by state
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Remarks by state AG Alan Wilson on South Carolina’s new voter ID law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Remarks by House Speaker Bobby Harrell on South Carolina’s new voter ID law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Remarks by State Sen. Kevin Bryant on South Carolina’s new voter ID law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Press conference Q&A on South Carolina’s new voter ID law