Transcript: Remarks by State Sen. Kevin Bryant on South Carolina’s new voter ID law
Transcript of remarks by State Sen. Kevin Bryant on South Carolina’s new voter ID law (January 2012):
“Thank you, Governor. Mr. Speaker, members of the Legislature, members of the press, I’ll be very brief. Mr. Attorney General.
“When I’m not here, I’m a pharmacist. And if you come to my store and you refill a narcotic prescription, I have to take and look at a picture ID to verify that you’re getting your prescription.
“Let’s talk about voter suppression. If you vote and someone else votes fraudulently, they’ve suppressed your vote.
“It’s exactly the opposite of what the Obama administration has accused us of. And I have full confidence in the Attorney General – I appreciate your efforts – and we will support you 100%.
“Thank you very much.”
- Governor.SC.gov: Gov. Haley, AG Wilson, Speaker Harrell, State Sen. Bryant speak about voter ID (YouTube)
- South Carolina State Sen. Kevin Bryant’s website
- WhatTheFolly.com: AG Eric Holder vows to enforce Civil Rights Act, protect MLK’s legacy
- Justice.gov: Transcript of Attorney General Eric Holder’s remarks at the King Day at the Dome on Jan. 16, 2012
- Justice.gov: Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Justice.gov: Letter from Assistant AG Thomas Perez objecting to South Carolina’s new voter ID law (PDF)
- RenewtheVRA.org: Voting rights in South Carolina 1982 – 2006 (PDF)
- SCStateHouse.gov: Section 7-13-710 voter identification provision
- NCSL.org: National Conference of State Legislatures – Voter identification requirements state by state
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Remarks by Gov. Nikki Haley on South Carolina’s voter ID law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Remarks by state AG Alan Wilson on South Carolina’s new voter ID law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Remarks by House Speaker Bobby Harrell on South Carolina’s new voter ID law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Press conference Q&A on South Carolina’s new voter ID law