Transcript: Rep. Carolyn Maloney asks ‘what is wrong with this picture?’ in debate on women’s reproductive health
Hearing on women’s reproductive health and contraception before the House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee held on Feb. 23, 2012
Transcript of remarks by Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.):
“Thank you, Leader [Nancy] Pelosi, for bringing Sandra [Fluke] to this hearing and for your commitment to these issues that are so important to tens of millions of women and men across our country.
“When I took my seat at the hearing last week and I looked out at the panel, I couldn’t help but ask, ‘What is wrong with this picture?’ There was not one single woman on that first panel. Not one. Even though we were there to talk about the needs of tens of millions of American women to have access to insurance for preventive health care, including reproductive rights, including contraception.
“The only freedom that was being debated was the freedom to tell women that they would not have access to family planning. What is wrong with that picture?
“We should not need to remind our colleagues that 100% of those who can have their health damaged by an unplanned pregnancy are women. 100% of those who die from complications related to pregnancy are women. 100% of those who give birth and plan their families are women.
“But 100% of those on that first panel talking about the access to family planning, the ability to plan and space your children, and basic preventive health care, there was not one single woman on that panel. What is wrong with this picture?
“We see all too often in Congress, in state houses, and in the Super PACs that are now dominating the debate on the airwaves that those who would take away a woman’s right to choose, those who compel a woman to undergo medical procedures she does not want or need, those who would introduce a bill on the House floor to allow hospitals to deny pregnant life-saving care are men. What is wrong with that picture?
- Rep. Carolyn Maloney’s (D-N.Y.) website
- CSpan.org: Video of the House Democrat’s hearing on women’s reproductive health
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi says GOP should not silence American women in reproductive health & contraception debate
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Elijah Cummings attacks Republican ‘morality’ bill allowing corporate CEOs to arbitrarily deny women prenatal & contraceptive care
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Eleanor Holmes accuses Republicans of exploiting religion to deny women access to reproductive health care
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Sandra Fluke testifies on why women should be allowed access to contraception and reproductive health care
Category: Advocacy, Congress, Current Events, Election 2012, Government, Health care, Human Rights, Politics, Religion, Transcripts, U.S., Women's Rights · Tags: birth control, Carolyn Maloney, Catholic, censorship, Committee on Government Oversight & Reform, Congress, conservative, contraception, Darrell Issa, Democratic Party, Democrats, family planning, freedom, Georgetown University, GOP, government funding, health care, House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee, medicine, pregnancy, preventive care, religion, Republican, Republican Party, Republicans, Sandra Fluke, social conservatives, Super PAC, U.S., United States, women, women's health, women's reproductive rights