Transcript: Sen. Jeff Sessions claims GOP’s budget will take America from ‘decline to prosperity’
Transcript of remarks by Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), Ranking Member of the Senate Budget Committee, on the GOP’s 2013 budget proposal:
“The House Republicans were elected to a new majority and they have courageously, intelligently and responsibly laid out a new plan for America’s future. They’ve met their duty that they were sent here to fulfill.
“We have never needed a budget more than we need it today. We are facing a systemic threat to America’s financial health.
“The budget that they’ve offered will alter the debt course from unsustainable to sustainable. It will take us from decline to prosperity. It is the right thing for America.
“The Senate Democrats have abandoned their obligations and have refused to offer a budget for three straight years now. They didn’t bother to write one last year, and they’re going to miss the April 1st deadline this year, and they’re not going to produce one this year.
“Sen. Harry Reid, the Democratic leader, said it would be foolish to have a budget. The Senate’s Democratic majority has forfeited their claim to leadership for America.
“If the voters give the Republicans in the Senate the honor of having the majority and the leadership, we will work with the House to pass a congressional budget. It will be an honest budget. It will change the debt course of America.”
- House Budget Committee: Fiscal Year 2013 budget
- House Budget Committee: GOP’s fiscal year 2013 budget (PDF)
- CSpan.org: Video of the House Republicans’ press conference (March 20, 2012)
- Congressional Budget Office: Long-term budgetary impact of paths for federal revenues and spending specified by Chairman Ryan (PDF)
- WhiteHouse.gov: Statement by White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer on the Ryan Republican Budget
- Dems.gov: Democratic caucus leaders: GOP budget deja vu all over again
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan announces GOP’s 2013 budget
Category: Congress, Current Events, Economy, Election 2012, Government, Politics, Social Services, Tax Dollars at Work, Tax Policies, Transcripts, U.S. · Tags: balanced budget, Barack Obama, budget, budget showdown, debt, deficit, deficit reduction, Democratic Party, Democrats, drastic budget cuts, election 2012, federal budget, federal budget 2013, federal debt, federal deficit, GOP, Harry Reid, high deficits, Jeff Sessions, national debt, partisan fighting, Paul Ryan, public debt, reduce deficit, Republican, Republican Party, Republicans, Senate Budget Committee, US Senate, US Senate Democrats