Transcript: Carmen Morales explains how the Affordable Care Act saves lives
Remarks by Carmen Morales, a nurse practitioner, on the Affordable Care Act on March 23, 2012:
“I would like to thank Leader Pelosi, Whip Hoyer, and Assistant Leader Clyburn for this opportunity on the second anniversary of the Affordable Care Act. I am a nurse practitioner and a certified diabetes educator in Bakersfield, California, at Kern Medical Center, a public hospital. Let me tell you about how the Affordable Care Act is making an impact in my community.
“Recently, we had a 25 year old, previously uninsured, but now covered through her mother’s insurance plan, come to us because she found a suspicious lump. Twenty five years old is awfully young to be finding these kinds of things, but as it turned out, she had a very strong family history of breast cancer. She was able to get the necessary tests and treatments. And as it turned out, it was cancerous. We got her into surgery quickly, and we were able to remove the lump. And thankfully, we got it all.
“Her access to our clinic probably saved her life. Because we caught it early, we were able to avoid a disfiguring and costly surgery. Now, she will be able to have follow up care to make sure the disease doesn’t return or come to another part of her body. She will be able to get the necessary testing she needs for her other family members, her children, her daughters. And she will be able to take care of her family.
“I am going to continue to advocate for the Affordable Care Act because I have seen how it works, how it saves lives. I want my patients to remain healthy, and I want them to be able to lead productive lives.
“Right now, in Bakersfield, there is a team of nurses who are out on the floors educating patients about the Affordable Care Act. And I am asking you to please make sure that this work does not end. It is so important. Thank you.”
- DemocraticLeader.gov: Health care reform turns 2
- YouTube.com: Video of Democratic leaders’ press conference on the Affordable Care Act (March 23, 2012)
- Transcript: Pelosi celebrates Affordable Care Act anniversary
- Transcript: Hoyer says health care law closes Medicare prescription loopholes
- Transcript: Brian England on how the health care law helps small businesses
- Transcript: Bob Meeks says Affordable Care Act helps seniors afford their prescriptions
- Transcript: Felicia Willems’ remarks on the Affordable Care Act
- Transcript: Elizabeth Bartenstein on how the health care law helps recent college graduates
- Transcript: Press conference Q&A with Nancy Pelosi on the Affordable Care Act
Category: Advocacy, Congress, Current Events, Economy, Election 2012, Government, Health care, Politics, Social Services, Transcripts, U.S. · Tags: Affordable Care Act, Barack Obama, breast cancer, breast cancer screening, budget, California, children, Congress, Democratic, Democratic Party, Democrats, federal spending, government funding, government spending, health care, health insurance, insurance premiums, Kern Medical Center, Medicare, medicine, Obamacare, pre-existing conditions, preventive care, Republican, Republican Party, Republicans, surgery, U.S., uninsured, United States