Transcript: Hoyer says health care law closes Medicare prescription loopholes
Remarks by Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer on the second anniversary of the Affordable Care Act on March 23, 2012:
“Since it was signed into law two years ago, and we celebrate its signing, health reform has made it possible for over 32 million seniors on Medicare to access free preventive services.
“The Leader said that, but it bears repeating, because people need to understand the consequences of what this bill is doing for America and Americans.
“It has reduced the cost of prescription drugs under Medicare Part D, and it will eliminate the donut hole by the end of this decade. The cost containment provisions in the Affordable Care Act are already slowing the growth of Medicare spending, with many beneficiaries’ premiums and deductibles already going down or growing at the lowest rates in years.
“Republicans, on the other hand, want to end the Medicare guarantee and turn Medicare into a voucher program that would ask seniors to pay more than $6,000 a year out of pocket. Americans who are age 54 would have to save an additional – listen to this – an additional $182,000, just to cover their health care costs in retirement. The donut hole would reopen if we repealed the health care bill, swallowing an additional $44 billion in extra drug costs for seniors through 2020.
“These are the kinds of figures we are talking about. Some of you, like me, in this room are seniors, and you understand the consequences of that increase. You are now going to hear from an American who was falling into the donut hole every year. And I want to thank him for being here.
“But thanks to the Affordable Care Act, his Medicare prescription drug costs are much lower, and as I said, the donut hole is closing.”
- DemocraticLeader.gov: Health care reform turns 2
- YouTube.com: Video of Democratic leaders’ press conference on the Affordable Care Act (March 23, 2012)
- Transcript: Pelosi celebrates Affordable Care Act anniversary
- Transcript: Brian England on how the health care law helps small businesses
- Transcript: Bob Meeks says Affordable Care Act helps seniors afford their prescriptions
- Transcript: Felicia Willems’ remarks on the Affordable Care Act
- Transcript: Elizabeth Bartenstein on how the health care law helps recent college graduates
- Transcript: Carmen Morales explains how the Affordable Care Act saves lives
- Transcript: Press conference Q&A with Nancy Pelosi on the Affordable Care Act
Category: Congress, Current Events, Economy, Election 2012, Government, Health care, Politics, Social Services, Tax Dollars at Work, Transcripts, U.S. · Tags: Affordable Care Act, budget, children, Congress, Democratic, Democratic Party, Democrats, federal spending, government funding, government spending, health care, health insurance, insurance premiums, Medicare, Medicare Part D, medicine, Nancy Pelosi, Obamacare, pre-existing conditions, prescription drugs, President Barack Obama, preventive care, Republican, Republican Party, Republicans, seniors, Steny Hoyer, U.S., United States