Romney secures GOP nomination with Texas win
Mitt Romney has clinched the Republican nomination after winning the Texas primary on Tuesday.
Winning the state with 69% of the vote, Romney has added 105 delegates, bringing his total delegate count to 1,198 and surpassing the 1,144 delegates needed to secure the Republican presidential nomination.
“I am honored that Americans across the country have given their support to my candidacy and I am humbled to have won enough delegates to become the Republican Party’s 2012 presidential nominee,” said Romney.
The Republican National Convention will be held Aug. 27 – 30, 2012.
Unofficial results of the Texas Republican primary on May 29, 2012:
- Mitt Romney: 993,086 or 68.97%
- Ron Paul: 171,988 or 11.94%
- Rick Santorum: 114,630 or 7.96%
- Newt Gingrich: 67,726 or 4.70%
SOURCE: Texas Secretary of State
- Texas Secretary of State: 2012 Republican primary election returns
- MittRomney: Tonight, We Begin The Work Of Restoring Our Country To Greatness