Transcript: Rep. John Yarmuth’s remarks on repealing the Affordable Care Act
Edited by Jenny Jiang
Transcript of House floor remarks by Rep. John Yarmuth (D-Ky.) opposing the repeal of the Affordable Care Act (July 10, 2012):
“Madam Speaker, today the House will consider a repeal of the Affordable Care Act for the 31st time.
“We’ll spend at least 6 hours debating this but not one minute considering a Republican replacement. That’s because there isn’t one.
“The American people are now experiencing the benefits of the law allowing young people to stay on their parents’ policies until they’re 26, requiring insurance companies to cover children regardless of pre-existing conditions.
“Republican leadership had the choice to include those provisions and others in this bill. Yet, once again they’re choosing to deny care to millions of Americans instead.
“With this bill, Republicans are choosing to cut young people off of their parents’ coverage. They are choosing to end guaranteed coverage for children with juvenile diabetes, autism, and asthma and other illnesses. They are choosing to raise prescription drug costs for seniors. And they are choosing to allow insurance companies to charge women more for the same policies as men.
“Madam Speaker, I invite any Republican in this body to come to the floor and explain to my constituents and theirs why they’ve made the choice to repeal all of these patient protections while offering the American people nothing in return.”
- House.gov: Video of House floor proceedings on July 10, 2012
- Thomas.LOC.gov: H.R. 6079 Repeal of Obamacare Act
- WhatTheFolly.com: Republicans vow to repeal health care law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Supreme Court upholds health care law, affirms coverage mandate
- Rep. John Yarmuth’s website
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Joe Wilson on repealing the health care reform law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Kevin Yoder on repealing the health care reform law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Colleen Hanabusa’s remarks on repealing the Affordable Care Act
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Gerry Connolly’s remarks on repealing the Affordable Care Act
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Raul Grijalva’s remarks on repealing the Affordable Care Act