Transcript: Rep. Raul Grijalva’s remarks on repealing the Affordable Care Act
Edited by Jenny Jiang
Transcript of House floor remarks by Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) opposing the repeal of the Affordable Care Act (July 10, 2012):
“The middle-class and men and women looking for work in this country are asking, ‘Where are the jobs?’
“The Republican majority in the House will be responding, once again, by voting to take away health coverage to struggling Americans.
“For instance, instead of bringing a jobs bill up or a fair taxation bill up to the floor, we will be taking away health care from a very significant and important group of Americans: the first Americans – the American Indians.
“By upholding health reform, the Supreme Court’s decision affirmed that the permanent authorization of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act was also part of the decision.
“The National Congress of American Indians stated, ‘This is an important step in Indian country. The permanence of Indian Health Care Improvement Act has been affirmed.’
“The Affordable Care Act permanently authorizes daily health care delivery to nearly 2 million American Indians and Alaskan Natives who are in critical need of improved health care and services to their communities. There will be critical updates, modernizations, expanded cancer screenings, long-term care, hospice care, and care for the elderly and the disabled.
“The passage of health care reform represented a 14-year struggle by tribal leaders to make permanent a legislative commitment by the federal government that had not been upheld.
“It is wrong for the Republicans to take this promise away to Indian country and to the first Americans of this country.”
- House.gov: Video of House floor proceedings on July 10, 2012
- Thomas.LOC.gov: H.R. 6079 Repeal of Obamacare Act
- WhatTheFolly.com: Republicans vow to repeal health care law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Supreme Court upholds health care law, affirms coverage mandate
- Rep. Raul Grijalva’s website
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Joe Wilson on repealing the health care reform law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Kevin Yoder on repealing the health care reform law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Colleen Hanabusa’s remarks on repealing the Affordable Care Act
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Gerry Connolly’s remarks on repealing the Affordable Care Act
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. John Yarmuth’s remarks on repealing the Affordable Care Act