Transcript: Rep. Keith Ellison on repealing the Affordable Care Act
Edited by Jenny Jiang
Transcript of House floor remarks by Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) opposing the health care law repeal on July 10, 2012:
“Madam Speaker, we could spend 5 hours today and tomorrow talking about jobs.
“We could consider a jobs plan that the President offered before this very body.
“But we won’t because we have to go repeal health care again for the 31st time. You would have thought the 17th time would be good. Maybe the 29th time. 31st time – it’s like they’re going for a record or something.
“And of course the Senate is not going to take this up. This is political theater at its worst because Americans are out of work and this body isn’t doing anything about it.
“Everyone here knows that the President can’t just whip up a jobs bill out of thin air. Congress has to pass it. But Congress won’t pass it because they’re busy doing political stunts, and that is a shame.”
- House.gov: Video of House floor proceedings on July 10, 2012
- Thomas.LOC.gov: H.R. 6079 Repeal of Obamacare Act
- WhatTheFolly.com: Republicans vow to repeal health care law
- WhatTheFolly.com: Supreme Court upholds health care law, affirms coverage mandate
- WhatTheFolly.com: House Republicans repeal health care law for the 33rd time