Obama campaign releases 2 new TV spots attacking Romney’s 47% comment
The Obama campaign has released 2 new TV ads attacking Mitt Romney’s recent comments dismissing 47% of Americans who don’t earn enough to pay federal income tax.
The first spot, “No Taxes”, featured the now-famous secret video recording of Romney telling his campaign donors “My job is not to worry about those people” – the 47% of Americans who don’t pay federal income tax. The ad pointed out that the 47% Romney dismissed include veterans, seniors, and disabled Americans but then made a sharp pivot to call on Romney to “come clean” on his taxes.
The second ad, “Fair Share”, debunked Romney’s claim that 47% Americans don’t pay any taxes at all, pointing out many working Americans who don’t earn enough to pay federal income tax actually pay federal payroll taxes (totaling 15.3%) as well as state and local taxes. The ad closed by questioning whether it’s fair that unemployed millionaires like Romney can pay a lower tax rate than people who work and who pay payroll taxes.
Script of ‘No Taxes’ ad:
Narrator: “Mitt Romney attacked 47% of Americans who pay no income tax, including veterans, elderly, the disabled.”
Romney: “My job is not to worry about those people.”
Narrator: “Doesn’t the President have to worry about everyone? Mitt Romney paid just 14.1% in taxes last year. He keeps millions in Bermuda and the Cayman Islands. He won’t release his tax returns before 2010. Maybe instead of attacking others on taxes. Romney should come clean on his.”
Watch the video:
Script of ‘Fair Share’ ad:
Narrator: “When Mitt Romney dismissed 47% of Americans for not pulling their weight, he attacked millions of hardworking people making $25,000, $35,000, $45,000 a year. They pay Social Security taxes, state taxes, local taxes, gas, sales, and property taxes. Romney paid just 14% in taxes last year on more than $13 million in income – almost all from investments. Instead of attacking folks who work for a living, shouldn’t we stand up for them?”
Watch the video:
- Obama for America: YouTube – No Taxes – Obama for America TV Ad
- Obama for America: YouTube – Fair Share – Obama for America TV Ad
- WhatTheFolly.com: Commentary: Mitt Romney writes off 47% of Americans
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Mitt Romney’s remarks on ‘Obama voters’ at a Florida fundraiser
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Press briefing remarks by Mitt Romney on the other 47%
- WhatTheFolly.com: Analysis: Romney’s tax plan would shift tax burden to middle and lower-income Americans
- WhatTheFolly.com: Romney’s tax controversy shines spotlight on tax code that favors wealth over wages
- WhatTheFolly.com: America’s growing income inequality
- Tax Policy Center: Who Doesn’t Pay Federal Taxes?
- Tax Policy Center: Why Do People Pay No Federal Income Tax?
- Tax Policy Center: Current-Law Distribution of Taxes
- Congressional Budget Office: Average Federal Taxes by Income Group (2010)
- Department of Health and Human Services: 2012 HHS Poverty Guidelines