Transcript: Sen. Lindsey Graham’s remarks after meeting with U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice and Acting CIA Director Michael Morell on Benghazi
Transcribed & edited by Jenny Jiang
Transcript of Sen. Lindsey Graham’s (R-S.C.) remarks after meeting with U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice and Acting CIA Director Michael Morell on Nov. 27, 2012:
Bottom line, I’m more disturbed now than I was before that the 16th September explanation about how 4 Americans died in Benghazi, Libya by Ambassador Rice, I think, does not do justice to the reality at the time and in hindsight clearly was completely wrong. In the real time, it was a statement disconnected from reality. Anybody looking at the press coming out of Benghazi, Libya, it would jump out at you this was a Al Qaeda storm in the making.
I’m very disappointed in our intelligence community. I think they failed in many ways. But with a little bit of inquiry and curiosity, I think it would be pretty clear that to explain this episode as related to a video that created a mob that turned into a riot was far afield.
And at the end of the day, we’re going to get to the bottom of this. We have to have a system we can trust. And if you don’t know what happened, just say you don’t know what happened. People can push you to give explanations and you can say, “I don’t want to give bad information.”
Here’s what I can tell you: The American people got bad information on 16th September. They got bad information from President Obama days after. And the question is should they have been giving the information at all? If you can do nothing but give bad information, isn’t it better to give no information at all.
So my belief is not only is the information bad – and I’m more convinced than ever that it was bad – it was unjustified to give the scenario as presented by Ambassador Rice and President Obama three weeks before an election.
- C-Span.org: Video of press briefing with Senators McCain, Graham, and Ayotte after meeting with U.N.Ambassador Susan and Acting CIA Director Michael Morell on Nov. 27, 2012
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Sen. John McCain’s remarks after meeting with U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice and Acting CIA Director Michael Morell
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Sen. Kelly Ayotte’s remarks after meeting with U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice and Acting CIA Director Michael Morell
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Sen. Lindsey Graham’s remarks on U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Sen. John McCain’s remarks on U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice
- WhatTheFolly.com: Secretary of State Clinton hints Benghazi attack might be linked to Al Qaeda in North Africa
- WhatTheFolly.com: U.S. counter-terrorism official calls Benghazi consulate assault an ‘opportunistic’ terrorist attack
- WhatTheFolly.com: State Department identifies the 2 Embassy security personnel killed in Benghazi, Libya
- WhatTheFolly.com: New details emerge on “complex” Benghazi attack; Marines sent to Tripoli
- WhatTheFolly.com: Timeline of the deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya
- WhatTheFolly.com: Democrats & Republicans trade accusations over Libya; Ambassador Stevens’s father says Benghazi deaths should not be politicized
- WhatTheFolly.com: U.S. Embassy in Tripoli denied repeated requests for additional security prior to Benghazi attack