Transcript: Remarks by Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi on the discharge petition to bring the Senate-approved “Middle-Class Tax Cut Act” to a vote
Transcript of House floor remarks by Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi on the discharge petition to bring the Senate-approved “Middle-Class Tax Cut Act” to a vote in the House on Dec. 4, 2012:
We all know that in the course of the election the President made it very clear that he was supporting the extension of the middle-income tax cut and everyone – 100% of the American people – would benefit from it. 100% of taxpayers, small businesses, and wage earners and the rest.
The Republicans are saying that rather than passing that they want to hold it hostage to giving an additional tax cut to people making over $250,000 a year.
That’s not negotiating. That’s hostage-taking.
So today, on the floor of the House, the Democrats have proposed a discharge petition, which if it receives 218 signatures – that’s only a couple of dozen Republicans joining the Democrats – [Senate-approved middle-tax cut bill] would automatically come to the floor and I predict would receive the overwhelming support of the House of Representatives.
This is the heart of the matter that is holding us here. As the public watches what is this about, this is about the $250,000 line that the President said in the campaign that he would honor and this legislation today brings to bear.
I urge my colleagues – out of 435 member of the House, we only need a couple dozen Republicans to sign the discharge petition. Each one of them holds the key to a $2,000 tax cut for the middle-class. Either sign the petition, urge the Speaker to bring the bill to the floor, or explain to your constituents why you do not want them to have this $2,000 tax break for 100% of the American people.
Please sign the discharge petition. Let’s get this done this week. We could bring this bill up under unanimous consent. The message could be clear the American people. We heard you in the campaign: Be fair, do something that works, work together. This gives us that opportunity.
Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
- C-Span.org: Video of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s floor statement on the discharge petition to bring the Senate’s middle-class tax cut bill to a vote – Dec. 4, 2012
- Thomas.LOC.gov: H.R. 15 “Middle-Class Tax Cut Act” (petition no. 112-6)
- WhatTheFolly.com: House Democrats file discharge petition in attempt to bring middle-class tax cut bill to a vote
- WhatTheFolly.com: Obama intensifies pressure on House Republicans to extend middle-class tax cuts
- WhatTheFolly.com: Warren Buffett argues for minimum tax on the “ultra rich”, debunks GOP’s myth on capital gains
- WhatTheFolly.com: House GOP rejects Senate tax cut extension bill
- WhatTheFolly.com: Senate Democrats pass middle-class tax cut
- WhatTheFolly.com: Fiscal Cliff: Boehner sends counter proposal to White House
- WhatTheFolly.com: Overview of the White House’s initial proposal to avert the fiscal cliff
- WhatTheFolly.com: Overview of the GOP’s initial proposal to avert the fiscal cliff
- WhatTheFolly.com: Erskine Bowles says probability of reaching ‘fiscal cliff’ deal before Dec. 31st is low
- WhatTheFolly.com: Commentary: Fiscal cliff talk turns to blame game