Senate approves $50 billion Hurricane Sandy aid package
The Senate tonight signed off on the House-approved $50 billion Hurricane Sandy aid package.
H.R. 152 “Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013” passed the Senate by a vote of 62 to 36. A GOP-sponsored amendment to offset the Sandy recovery costs by cutting deeply into the federal discretionary budget failed by a vote of 35 to 62.
The bill now awaits President Barack Obama’s signature.
It took Congress 3 months to authorize disaster relief and recovery funds for victims of Hurricane Sandy in the hardest-hit states of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
“I am pleased that Congress took bipartisan action to provide funding for the communities in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut, and other eastern states devastated by Hurricane Sandy. For the families working to put their lives back together, every day without relief is one day too many,” said President Barack Obama in a written statement. “So while I had hoped Congress would provide this aid sooner, I applaud the lawmakers from both parties who helped shepherd this important package though.”
The Senate initially approved a $60 billion relief package on Dec. 28.
House Speaker John Boehner pulled the Senate version from a vote at the last minute on New Year’s Day, prompting New Jersey’s Republican Gov. Chris Christie publicly criticize the House GOP leadership for their “disgusting” display of “petty, personal politics.”
A few days later, the House approved $9.7 billion for the National Flood Insurance Program, which was running out of money to help victims of Hurricane Sandy.
It took the House another 2 weeks before approving the remaining $50 billion for the Hurricane Sandy disaster relief package.
List of the 9 Republican Senators who voted in favor of H.R. 152:
- Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
- Thad Cochran (R-MS)
- Susan Collins (R-ME)
- Dean Heller (R-NV)
- John Hoeven (R-ND)
- Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
- Richard Shelby (R-AL)
- David Vitter (R-LA)
- Roger Wicker (R-MS)
- Senate.gov: Roll call vote #4 H.R. 152 Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013 on Jan. 28, 2013
- Senate.gov: Roll call votes # 3 on Senate Amendment 4 to H.R. 152 Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013 on Jan. 28, 2013
- Thomas.LOC.gov: H.R. 152 Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013
- WhiteHouse.gov: Statement by the President on the Passage of the Supplemental for Hurricane Sandy
- WhatTheFolly.com: List of 36 GOP Senators who voted against H.R. 152, the $50 billion Hurricane Sandy relief package
- WhatTheFolly.com: House approves $50 billion in Hurricane Sandy relief package
- WhatTheFolly.com: List of 179 House Republicans who voted against the $50 billion Hurricane Sandy relief package
- WhatTheFolly.com: Hurricane Sandy victims left out of the $9.7 billion flood insurance aid
- WhatTheFolly.com: How the $9.7 billion National Flood Insurance Program funding will help Hurricane Sandy victims in NY & NJ
- WhatTheFolly.com: List of 67 House Republicans who voted against the $9.7 billion flood insurance funding for Hurricane Sandy victims
- WhatTheFolly.com: House passes $9.7 billion Hurricane Sandy funding, a fraction of the $60 billion aid sought
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: NJ Gov. Chris Christie blames Boehner & House GOP for blocking Hurricane Sandy disaster relief funding