Transcript: Remarks by President Barack Obama on the Boston Marathon bombings
Partial transcript of remarks by President Barack Obama on the deadly bombings at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013:
We’re continuing to monitor and respond to the situation as it unfolds. And I’ve directed the full resources of the federal government to help state and local authorities protect our people, increase the security around the United States as necessary, and investigate what happened.
The American people will say a prayer for Boston tonight, and Michelle and I send our deepest thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims in the wake of this senseless loss.
We don’t yet have all the answers but we do know that multiple people have been wounded – some gravely – in explosions at the Boston Marathon.
I’ve spoken to FBI Director [Robert] Mueller and Secretary of Homeland Security [Janet] Napolitano and they’re mobilizing the appropriate resources to investigate and to respond. I’ve updated leaders of Congress in both parties and we reaffirmed that on days like this there are no Republicans or Democrats; we are Americans – united and concerned for our fellow citizens.
I’ve also spoken with Gov. [Deval] Patrick and Mayor [Tom] Menino and made it clear that they have every single federal resource necessary to care for the victims and counsel the families. And above, I made clear to them that all Americans stand with the people of Boston.
Boston police, firefighters, and first responders as well as the National Guard responded heroically and continue to do so as we speak. It’s a reminder that so many Americans serve and sacrifice on our behalf every single day without regard to their own safety in dangerous and difficult circumstances. And we salute all those who assisted in responding so quickly and professionally to this tragedy.
We still do not know who did this or why, and people shouldn’t jump to conclusions before we have all the facts.
But make no mistake, we will get to the bottom of this and we will find out who did this, and we’ll find out why they did this.
Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups, will feel the full weight of justice.
Today’s a holiday in Massachusetts – Patriot’s Day. It’s a day that celebrates the free and fiercely independent spirit that this great American city of Boston has reflected from the earliest days of our nation, and it’s a day that draws the world to Boston streets in a spirit of friendly competition. Boston is a tough and resilient town; so are its people. I’m supremely confident that Bostonians will pull together, take care of each other, and move forward as one proud city and as they do the American people will be with them every single step of the way.
You should anticipate that as we get more information, our teams will provide you with briefings. We’re still in the investigation stage at this point. But I just want to reiterate, we will find out who did this and we will hold them accountable.
Thank you very much.
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Remarks by President Barack Obama on the Boston Marathon bombings
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Press conference with MA Gov. Deval Patrick & Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis on the deadly Boston Marathon bombings
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: MA Gov. Deval Patrick’s remarks on the Boston Marathon bombings – evening press conference on April 15, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Boston FBI Special Agent in Charge Rick DesLauriers’s remarks on the Boston Marathon bombings – evening press conference on April 15, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz’s remarks on the Boston Marathon bombings – evening press conference on April 15, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley’s remarks on the Boston Marathon bombings – evening press conference on April 15, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis’s remarks on the Boston Marathon bombings – evening press conference on April 15, 2013
- Website of the 2013 Boston Marathon – baa.org
- Boston Athletic Association: Statement on the April 15, 2013 event (via Facebook)
- boston.cbslocal.com: Video of afternoon press conference on the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15, 2013
- boston.cbslocal.com: Evening Press Conference On Boston Marathon Explosions on April 15,2013
- boston.cbslocal.com: Video of press briefing on Boston Marathon Bombing Victims From Mass General Hospital Trauma Surgeon Peter Fagenholz on April 15, 2013
- Boston Police: UPDATE: Relative to the incident reported at the JFK Library
- Boston Police: Boston Police Confirm Explosions along the Marathon Route in the area of Boylston Street
- WhiteHouse.gov:President Obama Speaks on the Explosions in Boston