Transcript: Sen. Lindsey Graham calls Boston Marathon bombings a “case study in system failure” – April 25, 2013
Transcript of Sen. Lindsey Graham’s (R-S.C.) remarks on the Boston Marathon bombings at a press briefing on April 25, 2013:
Boston is becoming to me a case study in system failure. Just look at it from a 30,000-foot point of view.
You have Russian intelligence services contacting two agencies within our federal government responsible for our national security: the FBI and the CIA. They tell us, “We believe you have a radical Islamist in your midst.”
We do interviews. We do somethings that I think are pretty responsible.
However, this suspected radical Islamist is able to go back to Russia to Dagestan without the FBI or the CIA being made aware of it even though Homeland Security was. That’s system failure almost 12 years after 9/11.
And it gets worse. The suspected radical Islamist – the person we got warning letters about – is openly on the Internet for months talking about killing Americans and engaging in radical jihad against the United States, and we were unable to connect the dots and pick that up. The rest is history.
Between Benghazi and Boston, our systems are failing and we’re going backwards.
We need to understand that Bin Laden may be dead but the war against radical Islam is very much alive. Radical Islam is on the march and we need to up our game.
- C-Span.org: Video of press briefing with Sen. John McCain and Lindsey Graham on chemical weapons in Syria on April 25, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Boston Marathon bombings
- WhatTheFolly.com: Obama administration initiates review of intelligence-gathering prior to the Boston Marathon bombings
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: President Obama on the review of intelligence-gathering prior to the Boston Marathon attacks – April 30, 2013 press conference
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger’s remarks on Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s visit to Russia
- WhatTheFolly.com: FBI investigated Tamerlan Tsarnaev for link to radical Islam in 2011