Transcript: Sen. Debbie Stabenow’s remarks on the GOP’s CR to repeal women’s preventive care & government shutdown – Sept. 30, 2013
Partial transcript of press briefing remarks by Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich) on the House Republicans’ continuing resolution amendments to repeal women’s preventive care and the government shutdown. The press briefing was held on Sept. 30, 2013:
…Just as they tried to shut down the government in 2011 by saying they wanted to stop preventive health care for women, they are doing it again and we will not let it happen this time as well.
It’s appalling to me. When we look at the majority of Americans who are women – 150 million women who have already been benefitting by having preventive health care being available without out-of-pocket costs, no longer the insurance companies able to discriminate against women just because we’re women and calling that a pre-existing condition.
And when we look at the fact that come January there are over 8 million women who for the first time are going to know that if they are pregnant, they’re going to be able to have maternity care, prenatal care to be able to give them the very best chance to have a healthy baby and be able to take care of them.
Without the Affordable Care Act, maternity care will be unavailable for the majority of women trying to find health insurance on their own in the private market. That’s just a fact. And as many of you know, you were with us last week, when we heard from some young moms who had gone through that situation.
But to add insult to injury, as Sen. [Barbara] Boxer said, not only are they stopping or delaying in their minds the ability of women to get the comprehensive health care they need, including maternity care, but they have to go a step further and say, “You know, for the health care coverage you’re already getting – not preventive services for men, only preventive services for women – will be eliminated through this provision.”
This is stunning. Absolutely stunning and we are committed on behalf of the women of this country to make sure that this does not happen. It will not happen.
It’s time to continue funding the government.
Let me just say one other thing. We’re talking about a debate over a continuing resolution for 6 weeks. 6 weeks!
Rather than coming together, Republicans and Democrats, House and the Senate to be able to continue important services, jobs for men and women, paychecks for our military, support for veterans, support for seniors, support for children and families for 6 weeks, they are choosing to launch a delay in health care for women in this country and stop the most basic preventive care [that’s] already in place for women in this country.
Not going to happen.
- C-Span.org: Video of press briefing with Senate Democrats on the House Republican CR amendments to repeal women’s preventive care & the government shutdown
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Sen. Barbara Boxer’s remarks on the GOP’s CR to repeal women’s preventive care & government shutdown – Sept. 30, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Sen. Debbie Stabenow’s remarks on the GOP’s CR to repeal women’s preventive care & government shutdown – Sept. 30, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Sen. Mazie Hirono’s remarks on the GOP’s CR to repeal women’s preventive care & government shutdown – Sept. 30, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Transcript: Press briefing Q&A with Senate Democrats on the GOP’s CR to defund women’s preventive care & government shutdown – Sept. 30, 2013
- WhatTheFolly.com: Federal Budget 2013-14
- WhatTheFolly.com: Senate nixes House GOP amendments to delay Obamacare, sends back “clean” continuing resolution
- WhatTheFolly.com: House Republicans pass amendments to delay Obamacare for one year
- WhatTheFolly.com: House Republicans pass bill to de-fund Obamacare, setting up showdown on budget & debt limit
- WhatTheFolly.com: House Republicans threaten shutdown of federal government unless Obamacare is de-funded